February 17, 2016
Expanding the Burnout and Stress Management Toolkit.
Recent literature stresses the importance of acquiring a set of short and long term skills as a means of addressing trauma and/or unremitting stress. These tools are frequently learned and then quickly forgotten. For instance, the efficacy of learning mindfulness meditation without making it part of a larger lifestyle is now being questioned. What tools work best and when? What is the range of tools available to us? What is the neurophysiologic “target” of these tools? How can we incorporate these tools into our lives in the most effective and lasting manner? How do we utilize these tools as a pathway to building resilience and new meaning in our lives?
- To integrate a variety of stress management tools into their daily lives
- To acquire a personalized set of both short-term and long-term stress management tools
- New techniques to calm a dysregulated autonomic nervous system
- Why some tools are best suited to health care workers including psychotherapists
There will be an opportunity to practice some new tools in a supportive and relaxed environment.
March 16, 2016
Integrating a Healthy Nutritional Plan into Self-care Strategy
In this presentation, we will look at practical ways to integrate sound nutritional elements into an overall holistic lifestyle strategy. Rather than exploring diet in isolation, we will explore the interplay of the factors that nourish us every day; discover primary and secondary foods. There will be adequate time to reflect on our current approaches to diet and nutrition, and where the greatest opportunity for impactful transformation can be accessed. Is self-care a luxury? Or is it essential to our health and well-being? We will also get playful with a demonstration of home preparation of fermented foods, in our opinion the best source of probiotics.
In this presentation, participants will learn:
- To integrate diet and nutrition with other key domains of self-care: work, relationships, exercise and spirituality
- Myths and truths of dieting; why diets do not work
- 10 tips for self-care every day
- Easy to follow guidelines for healthy eating
Harry will again be assisted by Irina Dumitrache. Irina has graduated from two yoga teacher training programs, at the Yoga Sanctuary in Toronto and at the Yoga Therapy Toronto. She is a certified health coach from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition in New York City. Irina brings her avid interest in wellness and well-being to her teaching of self-care tools and her encouragement of healthy and balanced lifestyles.